Everyone adores the smell of a crusty bread loaf which travels through the air and fills the street with a universally loved aroma. This smell brings back childhood and family memories, making people feel positive, happy, and kinder. It's not surprising that bypassers stop next to the bread bakery to inhale the ambrosial aroma that triggers feelings of wellbeing and comfort.
This heavenly crusty bread loaf requires specific baking approaches to make it smell and taste delicious.
Bakers should think of:
- Which cookware tools they need
- How long to bake bread
- Which bread recipe to choose
The answers to these and more are just ahead. Let’s dive into how you can prepare the best crust loaf and other bread in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Kitchen Tools to Purchase For Baking Bread
The magic lies in the products you use. Higher quality bakeware retains heat better and provides even cooking which can make or break your loaf. Here are 5 of our top recommendations:
This is ideal for baking bread because the refractory ceramic helps to get a thick crust. High-resistant ceramic distributes heat evenly and ensures the right level of humidity while baking. Also, the ceramic is resistant against temperature both for the freezer and hot oven. This kitchen baker doesn't fade in the dishwasher and maintains hot food for a longer time.
Have you ever wished to bake Italian white bread called ciabatta? Bakers use a strong flour and lean, runny dough to prepare the bread. The bread is crusty on the outside and airy on the inside, and this type of bread is ideal for making sandwiches. This ciabatta baker has a dome lid that ensures the proper humidity level of dough to provide the crispy crust. The tool helps to keep a moist and fluffy texture while making the outer layer crusty. It also distributes heat evenly and is resistant to temperature throughout the cooking process.
If you want to prepare the renowned French baguette, this baguette baker set will be your best friend. De Buyer combines the baguette baking tray with a non-stick mould in one box which makes it easy to use the tool with pleasure. The baguette is distinguished by a long and crisp crust.
This baker is ideal for baking homemade bread and exploring various textures and flavours. It's made of ceramic, ensuring that the bread has sufficient humidity to get a perfect, brown and crispy crust with a fluffy texture on the inside. The criss-crossed lines of the bread baker don't allow the dough to stick to the surface. You can clean the glaze easily, and it is characterized by resistance and durability.
This kitchenware product is ideal for even and superior baking. The function of this pan is to give a specific shape to the bread while it's rising.
How to Bake Bread?
Crusty bread is crispy on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside. The bread crunches when you bite it, increasing your appetite. To make crusty bread, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 ½ tablespoons of yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 ½ cups all-purpose flour
Preparations for small loaves or buns:
- Prepare 3 cups of lukewarm water.
- Add 1 ½ tablespoons of yeast and 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt into it. The yeast is ready when it starts to bubble, this may take up to 10 min to activate the yeast.
- Mix in the yeast and salt in water with a spoon. Then, gradually combine the mixture with 6 ½ cups all-purpose flour. Use your hands instead of a spoon once the dough becomes firm enough.
- Then cover the dough and let it rise at room temperature from 2 to 5 hours.
- Sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut a grapefruit-sized piece of dough. Then, turn and roll it in your hands until it’s smooth and round. Then, sprinkle cornmeal on the dough and put it on a board to rest for 40 minutes. Repeat the same with the remaining dough. If you aren’t going to cook it right away, refrigerate the remaining parts of dough separately on a board, leaving a few inches of space between each roll.
- Take a broiler pan, put it on the bottom of the oven, place the Emile Henry Grand Cru Round Bread Baker on the middle rack, turn the oven to 450 degrees, and heat it for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on the dough and score the top lightly using a sharp knife to give it a unique shape. Put the dough on a bread baker, pour one cup of hot water into the broiler pan, and shut the oven. How long to bake the bread? Bake for 30 minutes. You can use a food temperature to see if the core temperature of the bread has cooked fully before pulling it out of the oven. A temperature of 190 degrees F at the center will yield bread that's fully baked (soft and moist) but not over-baked. And when the temperature is 205 degrees F, the bread will have a slightly thicker crust.
How to Make Bread Crusty?
Two major factors play an essential role in making bread crusty: steam and temperature.
Steam — Steam is essential for creating a golden crisp on bread and keeping the inside soft and airy. It not only makes the bread crispier but also makes it rise more efficiently. The secret behind this is that steam prevents the outer layer from cooking very quickly and gives it time to expand.
Temperature — The next essential component is temperature. It's crucial to bake bread keeping the temperature consistent. When the temperature fluctuates, it can cause a less crispy crust. One of the mistakes that bakers make is opening the oven to check the readiness of the bread often.
Now you know how to bake bread and what you should consider for making it crispy and airy. Roll your sleeves and get to baking.
Keep in mind that one factor to your success is high-quality kitchen tools and utensils, do not hesitate to opt for Zestspot.