One of the most positive and happy holidays is Thanksgiving. This day reminds people of the feelings of gratitude which, sometimes, we forget to express. Families gather together around the table to spend time together. Each family may have its own way of celebrating, as some may give presents to each other, while others may organize family gatherings to make the day memorable.
And, of course, the holiday cannot be imagined without a proper feast and Thanksgiving dinner. The traditional Thanksgiving menu includes turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and more.
Here are four healthy Thanksgiving recipes for you and your family to consider on this year’s Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
It’s near impossible to imagine Thanksgiving dinner without a turkey in the center. Don’t have a scrumptious recipe on hand? We have you covered with a recipe for herb-roasted turkey breast.
- 6.5 to 7 pounds 1 whole bone-in turkey breast
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
Directions for preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 163 degrees Celsius. Put the turkey breast (from 6.5 to 7 pounds) in a roasting pan and place it on a rack where the skin faces upwards to become crispy.
- Take a bowl and make a paste with 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, chopped fresh rosemary, sage leaves each for 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, 6 teaspoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons squeezed lemon juice.
- Then, loosen the skin from the meat and gently apply one half of the paste-like texture on the meat and the second half to the skin.
- After that, pour 1 cup of dry white wine on the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Roast the turkey breast for about 2 hours until you'll notice that the skin is golden brown, and an accurate meat thermometer gauges the meat readiness. Insert the instant-read thermometer into the thickest parts of the breast, and if it shows 74 degrees Celsius, the meat is cooked.
- When the turkey is ready, use aluminum foil to cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. Pour the juices from the pan over the turkey by using a spoon.
- Slice the turkey breast with a sharp knife-like Kasumi Damascus steel chef's knife — and serve the juicy meat.
Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe
Let's jump to the next Thanksgiving dinner idea, which is stuffing. Here is a Thanksgiving stuffing recipe for you to consider.
- 1 pound loaf of sliced white bread
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 stalks of chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
Directions for preparation:
- Take 1 pound loaf of sliced white bread and let it dry for 1 to 2 hours. After that, dice it.
- In a Dutch oven, melt 3/4 cup butter or margarine on medium heat. Put 1 chopped onion and 4 stalks of chopped celery into the oven and cook them until they become soft.
- Season the ingredients with 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to your taste. Add bread cubes and mix until evenly coated. Pour 1 cup chicken broth and mix ingredients well.
- Chill and use it for stuffing the turkey or bake it in an Emile Henry feu doux large rectangular oven dish at 177 degrees C for about 40 minutes.
- To bring a delicate touch to your cooking and serving, you can also opt for an Emile Henry farine large rectangular oven dish.
Thanksgiving Dessert Recipe
People can’t imagine Thanksgiving without a sweet dessert to top it off. Try out this delicious healthy apple crisp that will take your Thanksgiving table to the next level.
Ingredient list for filling:
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup of chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Ingredient list for topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons of chilled butter (cut into pieces)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
Directions for the filling:
- Take 5 Granny Smith apples, peel, core, and chop them into small pieces.
- Chop ¼ cup of pecans.
- Mix the apples, pecans, 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, ½ cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- And put the prepared filling into 7 to 8-ounce buttered ramekins.
Directions for the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 177 degrees C.
- Stir 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add 6 tablespoons of chilled butter (cut into pieces) into the mixture and blend it until it turns into pea-sized lumps.
- Add ¼ cup chopped pecans and sprinkle over the filling.
- Bake the apple crisps for about 35 to 40 minutes and chill for 10 minutes before serving them.
Mashed Garlicky Potatoes Recipe for Thanksgiving
The next Thanksgiving dinner idea is a delicious side dish.
- 4 pounds of potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup rice milk
Directions for preparation:
- Take 4 pounds of potatoes, peel and cut into chunks.
- Combine potatoes with 4 cups water, 2 cups vegetable broth, and 4 cloves garlic in a pot.
- Boil the ingredients and lower heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes until ingredients soften.
- Drain potatoes and keep the cooking water as you'll need it later. Keep potatoes in the pot and mash them over medium heat to evaporate excess moisture for 1 minute.
- Take off the heat and add the reserved cooking water and 1 cup rice milk interchangeably while stirring. Stop before liquid accumulates in the pot. Serve the dish.
These were the Thanksgiving dinner ideas we have for you this year. And the secret behind delicious dishes is cookware tools and utensils that you use while preparing. For making anything from stuffing to the desert, you can opt for Emile Henry Provence large rectangular oven dish.
Zestspot offers an array of the best high-quality cookware tools for your kitchen needs, browse the selection today. Impress your family with the dinner ideas mentioned above and make your day memorable and unique. Happy Thanksgiving!